Searching for a good antivirus, users often face dozens of options. Developers always compete with each other delivering multiple security products for Windows devices. Making a choice becomes even harder when a person is tight on the budget. There exist many free editions of antivirus software but how reliable are they. Let’s discuss the best free antivirus 2019 and take a quick look at other decent choices.
The most widespread choices in the market
Taking into account many factors, we’ve come up with the best choices available free of charge:
- Avast Free Antivirus is an undoubtedly famous free antivirus. Millions of users pick it since it’s got great protection and a set of extra tools no other free editions offer. Using this free antivirus, a person gets not only malware protection but also a password manager and a safe browser. Some optimization features are available, too. Keep in mind that this edition is for personal use only.
- AVG Antivirus Free is another good choice. Since Avast bought AVG, the software uses the same antivirus engine. It means that users get the same level of protection from various threats and viruses. This solution is a bit limited but still a decent choice for those searching for such a solution.
- Sophos Home Free is absolutely free of charge. It’s a great choice for families as it comes with free parental control features. This is a very rare addition that comes in premium plans only. Aside from that, Sophos Home Free also has Real-Time Protection and a dedicated browser extension. One can cover up to three computers with one free license.
- Bitdefender is the best choice for premium protection. However, the developers also developed a free version. The latter comes with core protection and several extra tools. According to the independent testing labs, this is one of the most reliable solutions. A simple interface and various promotions for affordable cost make it alluring.
- Kaspersky is another top choice. It has only basic but very reliable protection. The free edition is easy to install and navigate. It automatically installs new updates to protect your PC safe from newly appeared threats and other viruses. A user may add a free password manager as a separate utility.
Useful tips to take into account when making a choice
Firstly, you must decide whether you wish to get free antivirus. Premium plans are known to deliver a higher quality of services and a bigger set of extra tools. Yet, in case you are tight on the budget, a free edition will do, too.
Choosing a free antivirus from the huge selection available or this top 5 list, one needs to take into account the factor of reliability. One of the sure-fire ways to do it is to check the results of tests from the independent labs. They’ll honestly tell about the scores different programs got detecting malware, phishing sites, and various virus attacks.
There are many other factors to consider. They are all relative and depend on what a user needs. For instance, one cares a lot about the impact on the system’s performance. Some users need parental control, etc. So, it’s important to think about the main required feature and focus the search on it.
These 5 antivirus programs are known to deliver high-quality protection and some additional features free of charge. However, each one stands out by having something unique to offer. While some bring extra safety tools for browsing, others have more optimizing tools. One even offers parental control in its free edition.